My Fantastic Journal for G3-12 Booking form
How fun a journal can be?
My Fantastic Journal has been designed to engage learners in Grades 3-12. (can be adjusted for younger grades in K-2).
What students will discover:
Writing every day is important for acquiring skills. Students will explore just how fun creating a journal can be. Watch as they become excited about class journaling time and be able to use everything they've learned to create a personal essay or tall tale.
Teachers can pick from the following activities OR have students explore a combination of them.
- The Tallest of Tales – Turn a personal story into a tall tale! By making up a crazy story, students ease into writing and learn the art of the tall tale.
- Dear Diary – Students will write about something that happened to them that day, exploring how the – perhaps mundane – aspects of their lives can become magical and significant.
- Personal Story Collage – Students will write a personal essay-style entry employing words, art, and collage to create a fun and stunning piece about a pivotal moment in their lives.
Students will explore and understand
- literary terms and devices
- story structure
- how to create a sense dictionary
- how senses impact memory
- how to use the journal to plan, create, and edit a personal essay using theme.
Curriculum Touch Points:
- Imagining, planning, and executing a story using story structure using time and tense.
- Employing figurative and descriptive language, while enjoying the creative process.
- Understanding the differences and similarities between fiction and non-fiction texts, and creating meanings and messages through the use of personal experiences.
- How to plan, draft, and revise to create interesting personal essays.
- Learn about and how to create written texts using various types of characters, genres, forms, and structures for a variety of purposes and audiences.
- Learn to effectively communicate ideas through writing, including planning, organization, and editing
- Build creative thinking skills and utilize language effectively to develop a distinctive personal writing style.
- Consider the relationship between form, content, purpose, preferences, and personal interest.
- The effects of literary techniques and features such as symbolism, theme, perspective, and the use of figurative language in the expression of ideas.
- Learn to draw from personal experiences and knowledge to generate ideas and create original texts.
- Experiment with language, image, and structure to create a variety of effects and improve personal craft
- Consider contexts such as audience and purpose to develop effective communication.
- Appreciate the diversity of thought and expression, and learn to recognize the influence of underlying assumptions held by oneself and others.
Cost for schools
This program is best taught as a single session (K-1) or half-day program (G2-3). Multiple classes can experience this workshop over a day.
- $350.00 a session (60-90 minutes)
- $650.00 half-day session (morning or afternoon)
- $1200.00 for a full day
Save money by booking multiple classes!
For example: For the single full-day fee, you can book two single sessions for Kindergarten - Grade 1 in the morning and a half-day session in the afternoon for Grades 2-3.
Not in the Calgary area? Contact us about getting a remote instructor.
School on a tight budget. Let's chat. We may be able to work something out.