From One on One Tutoring to creating your own Learning Pod, the AWCS has you covered in these challenging times.
Kids and Teen Online AB Book Clubs
A reading club for you and your grades!
Reading comprehension, story analysis, book report prep, and a great discussion are all waiting for you. Boost your grades while discovering some really excellent Alberta writers.
Two Online Book Clubs! (choose the one that’s right for you – our ages are only a recommendation). BONUS: Order your book from Owl’s Nest Books and receive a 10% discount when you mention our book club.
MORE BOOKS COMING FOR JANUARY!
One on One Tutoring
Tutoring is one on one and offered in one hour, four-class sessions created specifically to address your student’s individual needs. This takes place online or at the AWCS (limited times available for in person tutoring). Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director for more information and to start the tutoring process.
Cost: Members $155 | Non-members $185
Online Learning Pods
Create your own learning pod of students, pick a topic within the English Language Arts or Social Studies framework (Grade 1-12), and choose the length of classes and the frequency that works best. Then, let us create the perfect course for you and teach it to your group.
Cost: $275 for 4 hours (which you can use whatever way works best for your learners)
Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director for more information and to start the Online Learning Pod Process.
In-Person Cohort Learning
Cohorted groups of 2-4 in our location. You create your cohort, you pick the topic, we provide the instructor. Your education, your way. Bookings begining in November. Please contact Kim Firmston for more information firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggested Topics For Learning Pods and Cohorts
English Language Arts
- Contemporary Fiction – analysis, comparative skills, and promote a love of reading
- Poetry – analysis, comparative skills, and promote a love of reading
- Reading Comprehension – parts of language, careful reading, analysis
- Essay Writing – from 5 paragraph essays to the PRT, CART, and high school social studies essays (written response part 1 and 2).
- Researching for Essays
- Book reports
- Creative Writing for the grade 6 PAT
- Articles (grade 6 PAT)
- Business Letter (grade 9 PAT)
- The Personal Response essay (grade 9-12)
- Creative Writing for fun (short story, screenplay, stage play, poetry, novel writing, etc.)
- Grade 1-12 ELA Curriculum support
- Grammar / punctuation / sentence structure / formatting
- Grade 1-12 Social Studies curriculum support
- Social Studies essays grade 10-12
- Social Studies PAT prep grade 6 and 9
- Weird History
- Alberta History
- Canadian History
- Women of History
- Either come alone or with a few other parents with similar questions
- Learn how to support your learner.
- Find methods to encourage writing and reading in grades K-3
- Find work arounds for students with learning disabilities
- Get general help with understanding ELA and Social Studies curriculum
Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director, for more information (*free for the first hour. If you have more complex issues we can work with you to create support to meet your needs).
Other Youth Programming