Kids and Teen Online AB Book Clubs
Read Alberta authors while learning how to analyse books for book reports and other school curriculum.
Kids Book Club for ages 8-12
Teen Book Club for ages 13-17
It all starts in October, Register HERE
One on One Tutoring
Tutoring is one on one and offered in one hour, four-class sessions created specifically to address your student’s individual needs. This takes place online or at the AWCS (limited times available for in person tutoring). Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director for more information and to start the tutoring process.
Cost: Members $155 | Non-members $185
Online Saturday Micro-Workshops
- Essay Writing – the basics: Saturday, Oct 3, 10-11:30 AM
- Researching Your Essay – without falling down a rabbit hole: Saturday, Oct 17, 10-11 AM
Online Learning Pods
Create your own learning pod of students, pick a topic within the English Language Arts or Social Studies framework (Grade 1-12), and choose the length of classes and the frequency that works best. Then, let us create the perfect course for you and teach it to your group.
Cost: $275 for 4 hours (which you can use whatever way works best for your learners)
Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director for more information and to start the Online Learning Pod Process.
Suggested Topics For Learning Pods and Cohorts
English Language Arts
- Contemporary Fiction – analysis, comparative skills, and promote a love of reading
- Poetry – analysis, comparative skills, and promote a love of reading
- Reading Comprehension – parts of language, careful reading, analysis
- Essay Writing – from 5 paragraph essays to the PRT, CART, and high school social studies essays (written response part 1 and 2).
- Researching for Essays
- Book reports
- Creative Writing for the grade 6 PAT
- Articles (grade 6 PAT)
- Business Letter (grade 9 PAT)
- The Personal Response essay (grade 9-12)
- Creative Writing for fun (short story, screenplay, stage play, poetry, novel writing, etc.)
- Grade 1-12 ELA Curriculum support
- Grammar / punctuation / sentence structure / formatting
- Grade 1-12 Social Studies curriculum support
- Social Studies essays grade 10-12
- Social Studies PAT prep grade 6 and 9
- Weird History
- Alberta History
- Canadian History
- Women of History
Online Parent Support
- Either come alone or with a few other parents with similar questions
- Learn how to support your learner.
- Find methods to encourage writing and reading in grades K-3
- Find work arounds for students with learning disabilities
- Get general help with understanding ELA and Social Studies curriculum
Contact Kim Firmston, AWCS Youth Program Director, for more information (*free for the first hour. If you have more complex issues we can work with you to create support to meet your needs).