Applications for the 2021 Writer in Residence are now open.
2021 Writer in Residence Application Guidelines
The Alexandra Writers’ Centre Society is now accepting applications for our 2021 Writer in Residence. The residency will run for a three-month period, March/April/May or April/May/June (dates to be confirmed after selection). The Writer in Residence will be paid an honourarium of $6000.*
The following commitments are required:
• A reading to introduce the WIR to members and the community, usually done jointly with the previous year’s WIR if he/she is available.
• A minimum of (45) one-on-one manuscript critique sessions with local writers (dates and times to be determined after acceptance.) Additional consultations (if needed) will be paid at a rate of $100/consultation.
• Minimum of three (3) one day workshops, (or weekly course/writing event) and two (2) public appearances/events as determined by AWCS and the WIR
All applicants must be:
- A published writer with teaching/mentoring experience.
- Comfortable critiquing a variety of genres (prose, poetry, non-fiction) – exceptions will be made for the right candidate
- Working on a project or close to completion of a project.
Application Package should include:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and a short exposition on what would make you a good choice for the residency.
- Resume or CV outlining publishing credits and teaching experience.
- Course outline for your proposed workshops and public events.
- A one-page description of the project you will be working on.
- Two letters of reference.
Send to: AWCS WIR Selection Committee
Email applications as PDF or Word .doc, .docx to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until midnight, July 31, 2020. A decision will be made on or before October 15, 2020.
For more information, please contact the Alexandra Writers Centre Society at 403.264.4730 or by email at: email@example.com
*Out of province applicants are welcome to apply, but please note travel to and from Calgary and accommodations are not covered by the WIR program.
*Due to COVID-19 and social distancing measures that may need to be in place for the foreseeable future, it is possible that all or part of the 2021 WIR program could be held online via video conferencing. AWCS uses the ZOOM platform for online program delivery.