Discover a network of writers,
editors & friends
Become a member today
Join a creative community
The Alexandra Writers’ Centre Society is an exceptional place to meet and connect with other writers. Membership is not required to participate in any of our programs, however as a member of the AWCS you will receive great benefits which include:
- be part of a diverse group of writers that is continually growing
- 25-30% discount on courses and workshops.
- 30% discount on Manuscript Review Service
- Free admission to our centre for drop in programs such as critique groups, readings, Free Fall Writing Sessions and other programming not requiring registration, social events or just come to write during open writing times.
- Be the first to know about new and exciting programming including special presentations and feature workshops through our email newsletters.
- one free manuscript consultation with our Writer in Residence (spring of every year)
- Annual Member Guest Pass* (see details below)
- Refer a Friend* (see details below)
- After 5 consecutive years of membership, all members are eligible to apply for author support for book launches, self-publishing and more.* (see details below)
- Voting rights at AGM and Special Membership Meetings
Member Guest Pass
Each calendar year, January to December, current members receive one guest pass. This allows you to bring a friend to a course, workshop, or event absolutely free as long as you, the member, are registered. (Does not apply to youth members – we have our own thing!)
But that’s not all, should that friend purchase a membership of their own, you will receive 10% off your next year membership renewal.
*Refer a Friend
We always love to hear that you’re talking about AWCS to your friends and colleagues. When someone you know signs up for a new membership, have them mention your name in the comments section and you will receive a 10% discount on your next membership renewal or course registration. (they must mention your name)
After five consecutive years of membership, an AWCS member is eligible to apply for financial support for a book launch, self-publishing, travel expenses for a writing related project and more. Please contact us for more details.
AWCS is a non-profit organization and a registered charity. We don’t believe in turning anyone away. If you’re experiencing financial difficulties or are on a fixed income, please contact us to arrange payments or fill out the Subsidy Request form and submit by email.
YOUTH MEMBERSHIP – The AWCS encourages young writers to express themselves. If you’re under 18, your membership gets you similar benefits to a regular membership at a reduced price as well as some extra special stuff just for you.
- A discount on all our programming (Classes, Workshops, Camps, Clubs, and more!)
- The opportunity to contribute to our seasonal Electronic Magazine (RIO E-Zine)
- Weekly Announcements and Event/Course reminders
- A voice in our programming through the Youth Council
- Volunteer and Leadership opportunities
- Member Events
- A discount on our Manuscript Review Service
- One FREE Writer in Residence Consultation (upon booking)
- Frozen Frog Wand (virtual) which gives you the ability to bring a friend to any of our clubs, classes, or member events without a drop in fee, three times before it thaws and hops away (not applicable to workshops or camps)
Full details of our schedule can be found on our AWCS Youth – Reality Is Optional website. We are always adding new programs and events!
For more information on youth programs (clubs, camps, classes, and more) click here.
Become a member and start enjoying the benefits.