The War Memory Project – Call for Submissions
Deadline: September 14, 2018
The Alexandra Writers Centre is seeking submissions to an anthology entitled “The War Memory Project” to commemorate the centennial of the WW1 ceasefire. Writers in the anthology will read at the Alexandra Writers Centre in a special Remembrance Day event on November 12, 2018.
We are looking for poetry, creative nonfiction, and fiction. Creative nonfiction pieces may involve memoir work derived from war diaries, letters, and memorabilia. Also welcome is nature writing about the geographical landscapes from war sites (France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Bosnia and Afghanistan).
Canadian content is preferred, or links with the Canadian Regiments that served in WWI, WWII, Bosnia and Afghanistan. Oral or Spoken Word stories are also welcome.
Proceeds will go to support healing from trauma related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for veterans.
- Poetry: 1 – 5 poems (or a Long Poem suite, numbering no more than 5 pages), prose poems (up to 700 words). All poems must be typed and single-spaced, with each poem starting on a new page.
- Fiction: Max. 1500 words (or flash fiction: 500 words)
- Creative nonfiction: Max. 1500 words. A work of creative nonfiction presents the writer as a subjective presence in the text. Works of creative nonfiction may include memoir, nature and travel writing, and personal essay – lyric or narrative.
- Prose submissions must be typed (12-pt font), double-spaced, pages numbered.
- Previously published submissions are acceptable. Just let us know where it was published so we can give credit.
- Only submissions sent by email will be considered. Please include in the body of the email, name, address, email address, phone number and a brief (75 word) bio.
- Subject Line should read: [Submission Type (ie., prose, poetry, cnf)] Submission_Your Name
- Send to: email@example.com
Contributors will receive 2 copies of the anthology.
The War Memory Project Launch and Commemoration Event
November 12, 2018 | cSpace King Edward – Studio Theatre (1st floor, 1721, 29th Ave SW) | 7pm
Join us November 12 as we show our support for our veterans and commemorate the 100th anniversary of the WWI ceasefire with the launch of The War Memory Project Anthology. Hear stories, spoken word and more.
Tickets: $20 (all proceeds go to support veterans with PTSD)