The War Memory Project – Call for Submissions
Deadline Extented: December 1, 2018
The Alexandra Writers Centre Society is seeking submissions to “The War Memory Project” anthology. The anthology will be released in the spring of 2019 with a formal launch and reading (date TBD).
We are looking for poetry, creative nonfiction, and fiction. Creative nonfiction pieces may involve memoir work derived from war diaries, letters, and memorabilia. Also welcome is nature writing about the geographical landscapes from war sites (for example: France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Bosnia and Afghanistan). We are not looking for academic or “textbook style” pieces that simply recount key battle dates and historic events.
Canadian content is preferred, or links with the Canadian Regiments that served in WWI, WWII, Bosnia, (or any other Peacekeeping engagement) and Afghanistan.
Proceeds will go to support healing from trauma related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for veterans.
- Poetry: 1 – 5 poems (or a Long Poem suite, numbering no more than 5 pages), prose poems (up to 700 words). All poems must be typed and single-spaced, with each poem starting on a new page.
- Fiction: Max. 1500 words (or flash fiction: 500 words)
- Creative nonfiction: Max. 1500 words. A work of creative nonfiction presents the writer as a subjective presence in the text. Works of creative nonfiction may include memoir, nature and travel writing, and personal essay – lyric or narrative.
- Prose submissions must be typed (12-pt font), double-spaced, pages numbered.
- Previously published submissions are acceptable. Just let us know where it was published so we can give credit.
- Only submissions sent by email will be considered. Please include in the body of the email, name, address, email address, phone number and a brief (75 word) bio.
- Subject Line should read: [Submission Type (ie., prose, poetry, cnf)] Submission_Your Name
- Send to: email@example.com
Contributors will receive 2 copies of the anthology.