The Alexandra Writers’ Centre Society, in partnership with the Writers’ Guild of Alberta and with support from the Calgary Foundation, is seeking applications from culturally diverse writers for its 2019 Borderlines Writers Circle Calgary.
The Borderlines Writers Circle is an initiative that aims to serve writers from a variety of linguist and cultural backgrounds who live in Calgary and are not yet connected to the local writing community. The program is designed to yield new literary works, explore the immigrant experience, and initiate dialogue that celebrates our diversity and contributes to a deeper understanding of one another. Programming includes mentorship, workshops, discussions, networking, public reading opportunities, industry events and more.
The program will run from February 2019 through June 2019. Participation in the Borderlines Writers Circle Calgary is free of charge. This is made possible through the generous support of the Calgary Foundation.
To qualify for this project, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- The writer has a portfolio of work and/or combination of writing education/experience.
- The writer comes from a culturally diverse background and is not yet established in Canada’s mainstream literary scene.
- The writer has a working knowledge of English.
- The writer is a Canadian citizen, refugee or landed immigrant, living in or around Calgary.
- The writer is available to attend activities on a regular basis (average two per month), and to present at public events.
Applications must be received by January 25, 2019 (please note this is not a postmark deadline). Interviews will take place in late January/early February.
Interested writers should send a completed copy of the application form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to
460, 1721 29 Ave SW
Calgary AB T2T 6T7