40th Anniversary Anthology
Call for Submissions
Deadline June 30, 2020
Having been blown out of the basement on the (Chinook) winds of change, the Alexandra Writers Centre Society will be celebrating its ruby anniversary in 2021. We reflect on the last forty years of our existence, the back 40 back story, and look forward to the next forty years. We invite you to send in your reflections or future projections, your stories of transformation or recalibration. Tell us stories of changes, transitions, modifications and innovations, whether they are stories of climate change, political change, technological, historical, or personal change; for the better or for the worse. Explore the transforming moments.
We are looking for fiction, creative non-fiction, personal essay or poetry from current/past members, instructors, facilitators and students.
Deadline is June 30, 2020.
General Submission Information
- Send us your poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction. Sorry, no novel excerpts.
- Poetry max. 5 poems (one poem per page) or 5 pages. This means if you have three longer poems, that’s fine, the submission just can’t exceed 5 pages.
- Creative Nonfiction to a max of 2500 words. No minimum. Sorry, no academic essays.
- Fiction to a max of 2500 words. No minimum. ALL genres welcome! Contemporary fiction, yep! Got a horror story? We want to see it. Science fiction, fantasy? You bet. Magical realism? Definitely. Show us what you got!
- Previously published pieces are acceptable. Let us know where it was published so we can give credit if your piece is accepted.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine as long as you notify us as soon as possible if the piece is accepted elsewhere.
- One submission per person.
- $5 submission fee – this will go to help pay contributors
- Blind submissions for this call, meaning your name and any identifying information must not appear in the submission. Include your name and contact information in the body of the email.
- All contributors will receive one free copy of the anthology as well as payment. (Yet to be determined)
- All rejected submissions will receive brief feedback from the editors.
Manuscript Format Guidelines
- Your name and/or any identifying information must not appear anywhere on the submission.
- Poetry submissions – typed, 12-pt Times New Roman, single-spaced, one poem per page or max 5-pages for longer poems. These should all be in one document.
- Prose submissions – typed, 12-pt Times New Roman, double-spaced, numbered pages. Please include the title of your submission in the header so that it appears on every page.
- In the body of the email, we want your name, contact information and please include one line telling us what AWCS means to you or what the organization has done for you and how you have been connected to AWCS. (ie. member, former member, student, writer in residence etc.)
- All submissions should be in .doc or .docx and name your file as [Category: Fiction, CNF or Poetry]_Title of your submission (for poetry you can say selected poems or number of poems)
- Submit by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: June 30, 2020 by 11:59pm.
More events and full program to come.