Advanced Fiction Manuscript Workshop
Begins January 16, 2018 | Tuesdays | Ends May 29, 2018
Instructor: Naomi K. Lewis
Do you have a book-length prose manuscript in its second, third, or 20th draft? Are you struggling with characters that haven’t sprung to life yet? A voice that readers can’t quite hear? A story that fails to pay off? The feeling that your book could just be better?
This 20-week advanced manuscript class is designed for you. Whether you’re working on a novel, memoir or a short story collection, eight students will be selected to participate in this half class/half mentorship program. Over 20 weeks the group will work on character development, voice, subtext, plot, structure and more, through peer review, reading successful works of literature, group discussion, in-class exercises, and directed exercises between classes. Exercises will be general enough to focus on your own current work in progress.
Each participant will also receive two one-on-one manuscript consultations with the facilitator over the duration of this course.
Application Process and Guidelines
Application Fee: $100*
Application Deadline: September 15, 2017
Registration Fee: $1050 (minus $100 application fee) due upon notification of acceptance.
* If selected to participate in the program, this fee will go towards the registration fee. If your application is not successful this year, the application fee will be re-issued as a credit for you to use towards another class or workshop.
General Application Guidelines
- You must be a member at time of application, and the $100 application fee must accompany your application. Applications will not be considered until fee is received.
- This will be an intensive 20 weeks, with lots of writing, reviewing, and reading, in class and at home. Please ensure you will have the time to commit to this class.
- You should be a published writer.
- You should have (at minimum) a complete first draft of your book-length manuscript.
- You should have experience giving and receiving peer feedback.
Your application package MUST include:
- A one-page cover letter telling us about you. Who you are as a writer; where are you in your writing practice; what are your goals as a writer; who are your influences; what do you like to read? Tell us a little about the project that you will be working on, how many drafts completed, issues you’d like to work through, and why you should be selected for this program.
- A writer CV. Please include publications, awards, short-lists, writing course you’ve taken and writing groups.
- A writing sample (max. 7,500 words) from the project you intend to work on.
- A synopsis (max. 500 words) of your project.
- Two letters of recommendation. These can be with your application or be sent separately by the deadline.
- Submit applications by email ONLY to email@example.com SUBJECT LINE (Your Name_Manuscript Workshop Application 2017) in PDF, .doc or .docx.
- All applications must be received (in full) by September 15, 2017 along with application fee.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent committee and all decisions are final.