Advanced Poetry Manuscript Workshop
Begins April 4, 2018 | Wednesdays 7 PM – 9 PM | Ends June 20, 2018
Instructor: Vivian Hansen
Do you have a significant group of poems but you’re uncertain how or whether to fit them together as a poetry manuscript? Are you struggling to maintain a consistent voice across your collection? Is there a voice that readers can’t quite hear? A theme that fails to pay off? The feeling that your book could just be better?
This 12-week advanced poetry manuscript class is designed for you. Whether you’re working on a chapbook, collection, or book-length poetry manuscript, eight students will be selected to participate in this half class/half mentorship program. Over 12 weeks the group will work on voice and tone, style, theme, character, and organization, through peer review, reading successful works of literature, group discussion, in-class exercises, and directed exercises between classes. Exercises will be general enough to focus on your own current work in progress.
Each participant will also receive two one-on-one manuscript consultations with the facilitator over the duration of this course.
Application Process and Guidelines
Application Fee*: $100 for members; $160 for non-members
Application Deadline: January 15, 2018
Registration Fee: $600 (minus application fee) due upon notification of acceptance.
* If selected to participate in the program, this fee will go towards the registration fee. If your application is not successful this year, the application fee will be re-issued as a credit for you to use towards another class or workshop.
General Application Guidelines
- You must be a member at time of application, and the $100 application fee must accompany your application. Applications will not be considered until fee is received.
- This will be an intensive 12 weeks, with lots of writing, reviewing, and reading, in class and at home. Please ensure you will have the time to commit to this class.
- You should have a record of publication.
- You should have (at minimum) a complete first draft of your book-length poetry manuscript (75-90 pages). You should have experience giving and receiving peer feedback.
Your application package MUST include:
- A one-page cover letter telling us about you. Who you are as a poet; where are you in your artistic practice; what are your goals; who are your influences; what do you like to read? Tell us a little about the project that you will be working on, how many drafts completed, issues you’d like to work through, and why you should be selected for this program.
- A creator CV. Please include publications, awards, short-lists, writing course you’ve taken and writing groups.
- A writing sample (max 10 poems or 20 pages) from the project you intend to work on.
- A synopsis (max. 500 words) of your project.
- Two letters of recommendation. These can be with your application or be sent separately by the deadline. If you have previously worked with Vivian Hansen, you do not need letters of recommendation; please indicate this in your cover letter.
- Submit applications by email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org SUBJECT LINE (Your Name_Poetry Manuscript Workshop Application 2018) in PDF, .doc or .docx.
- All applications must be received (in full) by January 15, 2018 along with application fee.